Skip to Content

Child Support Agreements Aren’t Permanent

Child support spelled by blocks

If your financial situation has changed since your child support agreement was enacted, or you believe the arrangement is no longer in the best interest of your child, it’s crucial to learn about the options you have to modify your child support agreement.

What is Child Support Modification?

Child support arrangements are not permanent. In Indiana, many factors come into play when determining how much support each parent pays or receives. Often, these factors change throughout a child’s life, thus warranting a change to the agreement. This change is known as a child support modification.

Outlined below are the factors that may warrant a modification. However, it’s in your best interest to consult an experienced Carmel family law attorney regarding your specific situation.

Acceptable Reasons to Warrant a Modification

The party requesting to modify the child support agreement must show that there has been a substantial change in circumstances that equals at least a 20% difference in the original agreement. These changes may include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • A significant change in child-rearing expenses
  • A significant decrease in income due to a job loss
  • A significant increase in income than previously recorded
  • The failure of a parent to comply with the parenting plan

Of course, this is not an all-encompassing list of reasons that may warrant a change to the agreement. Other factors may be acceptable and reviewed upon a case-by-case basis.

Must Both Parties Agree?

Either party may request a child support modification. While in some cases, both parents may agree to a modification, this is not a requirement to change the agreement. Either way, it is imperative to enlist the help of one of our experienced Carmel attorneys to ensure a speedy and favorable outcome for your request.

Contact a Carmel Family Law Attorney Today

At Roberts Means Roncevic Kapela LLC, we are passionate about family law matters and we want to help you obtain the best possible outcome for your unique situation.

Family law matters may seem overwhelming during difficult times, which is why it’s helpful to have one of our experienced attorneys on your side. We represent clients in Central Indiana, including Carmel, Westfield, Zionsville, and Marion County.

Contact us today at (317) 569-2200 to learn how we can assist you.


Contact Us Today

Schedule A Consultation to Get Started
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy