Skip to Content

Getting Your Maiden Name Back After Divorce

Carmel Law Firm RMRK

How to Change Back to Your Maiden Name After Divorce

Once you and your spouse have officially separated, you will likely want a fresh start as quickly as possible. A big part of this could be getting your maiden name back.

Contact Us

Name Change Request in Indiana

After your divorce is finalized, your name won’t automatically change back. You must specifically request a name change.

In Indiana, you can do this when filing for your initial divorce. You may be able to request that your last name be changed back to your maiden name within your divorce decree.

If your divorce is finalized before you request a name change, you will need to file a separate petition for a name change. This is the same petition that anyone can fill out at any time; it is not divorce-specific.

An important step to note is that you need to obtain a certified decree from your local clerk’s office after your name has officially been changed. This will be necessary to legally change your name on all documents.

Overall, the process of getting your maiden name back is not difficult. It is updating your personal information that will likely take the most time and effort.

Updating Important Documents

After you have gotten your maiden name back, it is crucial that you update any important legal documents.
This includes:

  • Your social security card
  • Your driver’s license
  • Your passport
  • Bank accounts
  • Credit cards
  • Insurance
  • Work records

While handling all of these administrative tasks may be time-consuming, it is very important to keep these up to date. This will help you from running into any potential issues that could arise from your last name being inconsistent.

Name Changes With A Criminal Record

Some states prevent you from changing your name if you have a conviction on your criminal record. In Indiana, however, there are no restrictions for individuals with prior convictions.

Costs of Changing Your Name After Divorce

Unfortunately, changing your name isn’t free. It’s important that you note the costs associated with changing your name into your overall budget.

If you file a name change petition after your divorce is final, you can expect to pay a filing fee of about $104.

You must also keep in mind that you will need to pay for updated copies of some of the documents listed above. For example, a new passport can cost you $110.

It is a good idea to look further into how much changing your name will cost so that you aren’t surprised by the total price.

Help with Your Name Change After Divorce Indiana

At Roberts Means Roncevic Kapela LLC, we understand how difficult divorce is. We work compassionately with our clients to support them through the process. If you are considering filing for divorce, or need the assistance of a family lawyer, give us a call at (317) 569-2200.

Contact Us Today

Schedule A Consultation to Get Started
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy